Skip to main content

An Easter Meditation

There's something about "rising" that makes me stop and wonder. The sun rising over the horizon, a monarch butterfly rising out of its chrysalis, a loaf of bread rising in the oven. There's this whiff of otherworldliness to the act of rising that I just can't seem to put my finger on. Its almost as if it this process of rising is not meant to happen. That somehow it just doesn't fit in this world. Contrary to what my dear wife claims (and exclaims), I am not a pessimist. I consider myself, for lack of a better phrase, a critical realist. And my experience (short as it may be) weaves a narrative of this world, this mortal coil, as the bard puts it, winding down.. drowning.. imploding on itself. The Psalmist was right when he said that thousands fall on one side, only to be worsened by tens of thousands falling on the other. In the midst of so much falling, is my analysis of "rising" being odd, peculiar and downright ridiculous that far-stretched? I mean, even the third law of thermodynamics states that things eventually move to a state of disorder. On a side-note, this law by the way is why I discourage cleaning the house - which is technically not the elimination of dirt (matter can neither be created nor destroyed), but merely a redistribution of it. Do you really want to go against a fundamental law of physics? Just ask people who disobey gravity.

I find it amazing that ON THE VERY NIGHT he knew he was going to be betrayed, Jesus washed his disciples' feet. That as those thoughts of betrayal were fermenting, he served them. And as he was doing this, he told them he loved them, giving them a mandate to love others in the same way - knowing full well, that the end was nigh. If I was new to this stuff and didn't know how the story ended, I would worship this guy right there. I would worship him and make him my mentor - right there. But then, two days later he confuses the hell out of me. He rises from the dead. Yea, he did say it before, but I just thought that was "exalted prose". But no, he actually rose. Of all the claims of the evangelist, this is probably the most scandalous. It is so scandalous that its got the ring of truth to it. If Aslan had to be killed according to the deep magic of the land, then him coming back to life was based on a magic deeper still.

In Christ, God's love and holiness collide. In Christ, the either/or categorization is destroyed forever and gives way to what can only be described as God's Holy Love.

On Good Friday I could worship him as my mentor, but on Easter, I worship him as my Lord and Savior.

Christ is risen! He is risen indeed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on O Oriens by Malcolm Guite

In his poem based on the fifth "O antiphon" - O Oriens , Guite plays on the word "Dayspring" as having the sense of "light" and "water". This is quite striking. Dayspring has always been one of my favorite words in the bible that refer to Christ. Guite's play on Dayspring is one that refers to essence or maybe form or maybe a state of being - "the eternal Prima Vera". Dayspring is something we can't see fully now but we will see it at our "waking" - Guite seems to be calling attention to an inversion of reality before and after death. Although we seem to be "alive" and "awake" this side of death, and death seems to be "sleep", in another sense, the other side of death is where we shall be fully "awake" when we shall be able to see Dayspring clearly because this very Dayspring has overcome death and it's darkness. This is not to say that the darkness we face on th

Indians are the most Racist people on the planet, possibly the Milky Way

Its true. Sad isn't it? Yesterday being Independence day and all. I mean, what exactly are we celebrating? 100 years of struggle to overthrow the British Raj, only to be bogged down by 67 years of self-directed oppression? The common human being in India is oppressed in many many ways. Sometimes I wonder if my fellow citizens actually invent ways of oppression - desi ishtyle, forming special oppression sub-committees and all. But you know the form of oppression that really really ticks me off? The prejudice against each and every melanocyte of dark-colored skin. Its like there is this hidden graph somewhere, that shows there must be a positive linear (almost exponential) correlation between the color of someone's skin and their worth. The lighter your skin color, the more popular, sexy, hot or generally awesome you are. And don't even get me started with how this mostly applies to women. Just thinking about this is making me punch a hole in my keyboard, which

Jasmine that stunk

Who could ever forget those golden words of Tyler Durden , “You are not a unique snowflake; we are the all-singing all-dancing crap of the world.” The brilliant soap manufacturing modern revolutionary of Fight Club fame got it right in many ways… I wish I could leave it at that. OK, let me play genie and just leave it at that (for now). C.S. Lewis, in his essay Lilies that fester speaks with unabashed repugnance (quite rightly so) about culture -mongers who are so caught up in being “cultured” that there is no real acknowledgement of a Don Giovanni or the Orestaia but just some feigned rubbish worth less than nothing. Culture, in CSL’s England was the collective term for a whole set of “certain very valuable activities” like appreciating (or feigning to appreciate) literature or the arts. It was something, in a sense, attainable. But travel half way around the world and one realizes the multiplicity of the English language. “Culture” means something seemingly completely unrelated